Saturday, July 23, 2011

I think I bought Bossypants just for this quote

In my experience, the hardest thing about having someone "come out" to you is the "pretending to be surprised" part.  You want him to feel like what he's telling you is Big.  It's like, if somebody tells you they're pregnant, you don't say, "I did notice you've been eating like a hog lately."  Your gay friend has obviously made a big decision to say the words out loud.  You don't want him to realize that everybody's known this since he was ten and he wanted to be Bert Lahr for Halloween.  Not the Cowardly Lion, but Bert Lahr.  "Oh my gosh, no waaaay?"  You stall, trying to think of something more substantial to say.  "Is everyone, like, freaking out?  What a... wow."

~Tina Fey, Bossypants


I just like shocking people, so being surprised is a plus in my book.  heh.  Come December, however, I wonder how surprised/not surprised my friends will be back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment