Thursday, January 19, 2012

If 2010 was the year of me coming out to my myself, to my friends (in Houston), to my fellowship, and to my parents,

and 2011 was the (first) year of me being an advocate and educating myself, my friends, and strangers,

what will 2012 be?

Maybe it'll be the first year of seriously integrating this whole sexual identity thing with the rest of what I consider part of myself.  Maybe it'll be the first year of really learning and understanding how to not let this aspect of my life consume all that I am.

That's what I'm hoping for.  But when others asked me what I'm hoping for in this new year, I never mentioned any of these things.

Perhaps there begins that process of integration.  That process of healthy embracing and distancing this part of me.  After all, in any area of our lives, we're called to things like our ministry, fellowship, family, occupation, and studies, but we're not called to forsake everything else for just one of those things.  Likewise, I need to start finding that balance in this part of my life.  For the sake of mine and others' easy understanding and categorization, how much do I let labels define me?

It'll be a lifelong process, I'm sure.  But I'm fine with that.

1 comment: