Tuesday, May 18, 2010

On the Ground

Luke 7:47 (NLT)

"I tell you, her sins--and they are many--have been forgiven, so she has shown me much love.  But a person who is forgiven little shows only little love."

I read this passage (Luke 7:36-50) a few days ago, and cannot stop thinking about this verse.

The scene is at the house of a Pharisee, with a sinful woman weeping on Jesus' feet, wiping His feet with her hair, kissing them, and putting expensive perfume on them.

When I was younger, I would read this verse and think, "Really...?  Can't you love much even if you haven't been forgiven much?  Do you really have to have all these sins to be forgiven in order to love much?"  And of course, being naive and prideful, I would push aside the verse and think, "No, that can't be right.  I can still love God a lot, even if I haven't been that sinful."
But here, Jesus says I can't.  I teared up, thinking of the sins that He'd been revealing to me recently, and how I've seen that I'm really quite messed up, what with homosexuality and all.  Acknowledging these sins, coming to terms with the fact that I have them, asking for forgiveness, and receiving forgiveness have been more steps to increase my love for God and to really be thankful for what He's done for me.  I really can't be grateful enough to see my sins and receive forgiveness for them, because this can only make me love God more.

Like the woman at Jesus' feet, however, I should be down on the floor, crying and wiping His feet... otherwise, am I really accepting that forgiveness?  Do I see how wrong I've become and am I truly thankful for His grace?

No, not really.  That shows that this principle isn't a license to sin more just so you can "be forgiven and love more."  After all, the act of asking and accepting forgiveness shows at least a penitent heart.  Done the right way, this becomes a kind of a feedback inhibition too--you sin, you ask and accept forgiveness, you love more, and so you sin less because of your greater love.

Man, God is incredible.  =)

No comments:

Post a Comment