Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Loewenstern Fellowship Envelope #11

Open 1 day prior to the conclusion of your service

Do you see any connection between the societal issues you addressed in-country and your life in the United States?  If so, has your time as a Loewenstern Fellow helped clarify this connection for you?  If so, how did it clarify this connection?


I think the connection I see the most may be governmental neglect in terms of orphans and those with special needs.  While the United States does have a lot in place for those with special needs, and a lot of  organizations and care to help out, and more could always be done, perhaps the neglect is greater seen for those who are orphaned.  The foster care system often makes many people who work in it jaded, and it's not very beneficial for the kids to go from family to family.

Being a Loewenstern Fellow has helped me be much more aware to the troubles of orphans and what can be done for them.  The idea about how orphanages may be a much better answer than the foster care system  of the United States has been a fascinating idea that I'd like to explore more in the future.
In addition, I have just been grateful for the fact that the U.S. has much more in place in terms of caring for those with special needs, and higher standards for what needs to be done for them.  Social workers from the U.S. would probably have a fit at some of the hygiene practices that go on in Maria Cristina (although the kids in question, as far as I can tell, seem to be well-adapted to regularly having feces on their hands and eating food from the ground.  I never saw any of them ill, throwing up, or sick in bed).  There is almost no therapy given to the children, although exercise is encouraged.
I find myself respecting those who care well for those with special needs more and more.  Because there are definitely plenty of people who don't give the kids as much as they could give.  It's certainly not an easy job, but these kids deserve nothing less.

2 comments:

  1. I've loved reading your posts, and this one in particular about what you've learned about special needs kids. It's been so great getting to read what you've experienced and learned! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww, thanks Miranda! I actually didn't like what I wrote here the most out of all my entries, perhaps because I felt like it was really short. The fact that you liked it makes me happy, though.
      I will someday write another follow-up entry about Bolivia... just like how I will someday finish writing about ASB... >_<

      Delete