Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Loewenstern Fellowship Envelope #9

Open on any day after the mid-point of your experience



Whose responsibility is it to alleviate the conditions caused by the social issues you are addressing?  What can they do?


Considering that I worked with two orphanages that are government-run by SEDEGES (Servicio Departamental de Gestión Social [Departamental Service of Social Management]), my immediate answer was the government.  After all, they control so much of what goes on in the orphanage--the workers being paid, the high turnover rate (although that is a product of jobs that are overseen by the government in Bolivia--you only have a yearly contract), the conditions being met or not met.

I remember hearing about how there is still no running water at some of the houses (casitas) in Ciudadela.  Which I guess makes me wonder where they get water at all, but I forgot to ask.  Freddy, my Projects Abroad supervisor, was asked to help fix it, which I guess he'd be willing to, but according to one of the women who lives at the houses (the tía), he apparently just replied, "Where's SEDEGES?"  And he's right, the tía said. Where is the government?  And why aren't they helping?  The director/higher-ups apparently come somewhat frequently--I saw a couple of executive people twice during my time at Ciudadela.  They are told the problems, and they promise to help, but according to the tías, they just forget, I guess.

When it comes to integrating those with special needs, I still think a big burden is on the government and providing the resources for those with special needs to even be able to go out.  Part of alleviating the conditions is also a burden of the community.  They need to be willing to volunteer their time, their understanding, and their care for the orphans and for those with special needs.  However, ultimately, I do think the government plays the biggest role in helping.

No comments:

Post a Comment