Sunday, August 5, 2012

Loewenstern Fellowship Envelope #7

Open one day after the last question

Are you still wondering if your service is making a difference?
If "yes," what steps can you take in your remaining time to change the outcome of your experience, either for yourself or the community?
If "no," how can you make the most of your remaining time?  What changes can you make in your service to have an even greater impact?


A difference.  Yeah, I guess it did.  In terms of making the most of my time, when I go back to Bolivia (hopefully next summer or definitely at least by two summers from now), I guess it's continuing to love on the kids and help them with whatever they're going through.  I enjoy giving things to them and providing for whatever physical needs that they have.  I suppose in a way that's easier and simpler to see the differences that are made.  You can see the kids using the colored pencils you bought or the calculator, and reflect on all that you've done.

 I wish I could be a better teacher though.  I know I should be instructing them on sharing, or on being virtuous individuals and such.  I bought a big box of gum there which held 12 packs of Trident gum, and would take a couple packs to hand out during my last week at Ciudadela.  I would pass them out and tell them one stick of gum per kid, but when there's like fifteen kids mobbing you and hands outstretched everywhere, sometimes a kid would end up getting two sticks of gum just by reaching their hand out again.  Which naturally pissed me off a bit, since taking two sticks of gum instead of one stick of gum means less gum for the other kids.  I tried to explain that, but I wasn't so sure if I got to the one particular 12-year-old girl who did that.  Perhaps trying to focus on preparing them for the outside, "real" world is something I'd like to focus on in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment