Sunday, December 25, 2011

Nine hours and they'll all know.

I decided to make my coming out to my home church more of a low-key, have whoever wants to share  about their lives from college talk about what they've learned, how God has been working in their lives, what God has placed on their heart, etc.  Inspired by our last impromptu junior hangout and Hannah's crafting of that e-mail.  I think it'll be good, in part because I didn't have to prepare some long message, and also because I don't want me coming out to just be about me and my experiences, and also since I get to hear what other people have been learning/experiencing from God.

Some interesting things, or just chronicling recent events in my life so far.

  • Plane ride from Houston to Seattle
    • sat by a Christian guy and his daughter (noticed I was reading Ecclesiastes and commented on it, and then I saw he was wearing some Christian Athlete association/organization jacket)
  • Plane ride from Seattle to Pasco (Tri-Cities)
    • sat by a girl who told me about her girlfriend
  • On the Greyhound from Pasco to Seattle
    • pretty sure the two guys who sat behind me were gay.  Hardcore tried to eavesdrop on them whenever they were talking.
  • Came out to my best friend from middle/high school, who's in Seattle and won't be there on Sunday when I speak.
    • Went well, he was supportive and encouraging.
  • Sat at Shari's (kinda like the equivalent of a House of Pies) with my youth group members on Friday (last night)
    • At one point, one person brought up that venn diagram of Nice, Handsome, and Smart guys, where the overlapping of all three parts is Gay.
      • During that convo, I'm pretty sure I was like, "Well, you know, some of us just get all the luck.  ;)"  but it was kind of purposely when no one was paying attention to me.
      • Wanted to ask if that meant that if you were gay, does that mean you are automatically nice, handsome, and smart?  ;D
  • At our Christmas Eve church potluck tonight
    • After one of my youth group asked about how the talk about gay marriage went, since she was still in college, someone else in my youth group (another college freshman) mentioned that we just don't know enough.
      • I asked, "Don't know enough about what?"
      • She responded like about being gay, since she wasn't gay after all.  Obviously she assumed I wasn't.  haha.
      • I felt like saying, "Actually, I know a lot about that."  haha.  or maybe I should have said, "Well, speak for yourself!"
      • It'll be interesting to see how they react tomorrow.
    • Other stuff
  • At my friend's Christmas Eve party after the potluck
    • Came out to her, since she may not be there tomorrow morning at church as her family is off shopping.  That also went well, and she was supportive; we scheduled a breakfast to talk about it and other stuff more.  =)
Oh hey, just looked up Bill Henson's blog again, billhenson.blogspot.com
Saw that HCC got a shout-out!

"One of the most exciting events of 2011 was our Posture Shift seminar at Houston Chinese Church (HCC) in Houston, TX. Homosexuality can be a difficult topic for many ethnic churches. However, our changing culture is driving a much higher need for these churches to get equipped. We saw this rise occur in 2011.

The HCC pastoral team courageously invited their congregation and area Chinese pastors. Over 150 people attended. Near the end, Pastor F. invited young adults who struggle with sexuality and gender to privately meet with us. He said he wanted them to know they have spiritual support in their home church. Several young men responded and opened their hearts to “their” pastor. HCC deserves top honors for “living out” the Posture Shift teaching."

I was part of "several young men."  lol--yay!

2 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas David!!! =]

    I'll be praying for you throughout this morning. And I have absolutely no doubt that the Holy Spirit will give you the words to say, and that He will be strengthening you before, during, and after you come out.

    I hope you have a BEAUTIFUL day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, God is working in wonderful ways back home, glad to hear that and praying for your sharing times! magic of Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete