Sunday, December 25, 2011

It went well.  Thanks so much for all the prayers and support, guys! They undoubtedly helped, and were answered all nice and positively by God.  =)

I didn't think they'd take it poorly, but I did have this scenario in my head where I would be in tears and publish some post just saying, "It was bad.  Can't talk about it right now... need time to recover."  or something awful like that.  But it wasn't like that at all, and having that juxtaposition between what could have happened and what did happen makes me all the more grateful to God.

Here's what one of my youth members fb messaged me after,

"Just letting you know that my thoughts towards you have not been changed at all. Actually, that's a lie. After you came out to us today, I have mounds more respect for you. I'm really proud and happy of your decision to stay single and celibate. 

You, my friend, have earned your spot on my list of role models. "

Awww... =' ) So sweet.

The girl is actually in 10th grade... thinking about it, she could've actually been one of my campers at Impact!  haha.  It's weird to see my youth group members who are in 9th grade and also thinking about how they could be in Kevin and my Sunday School class.  lol.

Two of my close friends were really excited that I came out.  One of them is a freshman at Eastman School of Music (the #1 music school in the nation!  dangggg), and claims that 70% of the guys there are gay... he was actually fairly homophobic in the past, but he said he's a lot better now and has learned so much from this semester from hanging out with all his friends.  He was saying how it was kinda like he was ready to handle this now.  haha.
The other friend, who's the sister of that freshman, was saying that now she can say that she has a gay friend who is Christian, as a lot of her friends said they were still hung up about homosexuality as it relates to Christianity.

It is so nice being open with everyone, and being able to talk about the areas in my life pertaining to me being gay.  After church, as we were all hanging out in the sanctuary talking, it felt really good.  I was actually pretty thankful to be gay and experience these feelings of acceptance and a genuine desire to get to know me and what I've been going through.  It was scarier, coming out to people who have known you for most of your life.  But it was definitely so much more rewarding.  After coming out, I wasn't shaking like I was after I came out to all the youth's families during that one dinner in the middle of babysitting.  Also, our pastor's son asked if we could all pray for me, and that was really nice.  =)


awww, and one of my other youth members (sophomore in college) just fb messaged me this,

"Hey David!

I didn't tell you after church today, but thanks for sharing your testimony and coming out to the whole youth group! It was incredibly brave and really encouraging. I'll definitely keep you in my prayers because it must have been and probably is currently a difficult journey. I hope that no one in youth group or any person you meet will treat you differently when you tell them, but if it helps, I have always looked up to you and will continue to. I've always considered you somewhat of an expert on theology and the Bible--I think most of the youth group always has. Little consolation, I know, but I thought I might tell you now. Yeah, but thanks again. I know that God will continue to use you in any way he can to glorify his name."

Yay!  I hope they don't mind me posting all these messages... lol...  hmmm, maybe since I'll be giving them my blog address, I might need to not post so many details... >_<

4 comments:

  1. glad it went well!!! God answers prayers :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's ok to post them. If it glorifies God, why not. And that night with the youth parents was BOSS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, well, some people care a lot more about privacy with what they share, and they don't like people sharing anything personal about them.

    I had that same thought of if it really helped me or encouraged me and glorifies God with the evidence of fellowship, why not. But some people really don't want what they share with me to be on the internet or something. And so I think I should respect their wishes, because that in its own way glorifies God too.

    ReplyDelete