Tuesday, December 27, 2011

"God, why are you so good to me.
This. couldn't have happened.  without God.

I can't even.
I don't.

why are you so good to me.  I don't deserve this.

thank You."

these thoughts were running through my head again and again tonight.  Maybe someday far in the future, I'll be able to elaborate more, but tonight was just so... good. So amazing.  One of those, "This couldn't have been a coincidence because, man... it was just what I needed.  It's everything I've ever wanted."

like seriously.  2011 was full of everything I've ever wanted.

And I don't know why God has blessed me so much.  It's just so... not fair.  Some people get nothing.  I don't know why I get it all.
Luke 12:48, then.  "Everyone to whom much was given, of him much will be required, and from him to whom they entrusted much, they will demand the more."  Certainly, I am willing to give much.  How could I not?

I also met up with my friend at Johns Hopkins today for breakfast.  She's Christian, and a Cell Biology and Philosophy double major, and interestingly said that almost all of her philosophy courses are religion-based.  I asked her why that was, and she said because you have to assume that God exists to be able to even begin debating many philosophical points.  While obviously not every student there adheres to some major religion's God, very few of her philosophy classmates reject that God exists (although this may be due to the fact that many came in believing that).

I asked her for some examples of how you have to assume that God exists, and she said that without that assumption, it is just very difficult to begin debating because without an assumption of the existence of some higher power, can you say that evil exists in the world, and then what is evil, and what is morality.  I brought up relative morality, and I think she said that that is basically what you have to accept, that what someone does which is wrong for you, may not be wrong for them.  But in terms of philosophy, well, that will get you no where.  So everyone just begins class and writes papers with that assumption. Of course, the profs try their hardest to never tell the class what their religious beliefs are, so as to not influence the students, and all of them have extremely developed ideas of what God is.

I wasn't totally convinced that one could use this to prove the existence of God, but I thought it was interesting that at the Johns Hopkins' philosophy department, it is seen as highly improbable that there is no God.  Also, during the classes, for much of the time, they forbid the use of religious texts to argue for one's point (although there is a portion of the class dedicated to thus using those texts), and that just facilitates a more holistic understanding of things.  That sounds really cool.  Makes me wish I could be a Phil major over there.  I wonder what it's like at Rice...

No comments:

Post a Comment