Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Workshop Poem #2


Getting My Hands Dirty

3:30 A.M.
I eyed this place
on my way to dinner.
People come in from all over,
do their business,  
and leave.  I can’t blame them;
I’m just like 'em:
stand mixers kind of
turn me on too.
This first time, though,
it was your blender that got me,
chopping bits of chocolate
better than anyone I’d ever known.
I took the pieces and
melted them in a bowl over boiling water.
The aroma was strong,
almost overpowering,
but I would long for it for weeks.
Seven hours there
and I was like the crumbs,
fused to the baking pans.

12:15 A.M.
I went again,
right after clocking out from classes.
It was too early. 
As I hand-grated
three cups of carrots,
people would barge in.
Can’t they see we’re busy here?
Why can’t they microwave their food somewhere else?
I brushed them away
like the flies that prey on our children.
But later, I shared our carrot cake babies
with them, and I think they were
more than glad to have given us
some alone time.
                                                                  
8:20 A.M.
It’s never a walk of shame
            when I visit or leave you.
And no, I don’t care about all the other people
            you’ve been with.
I’ll bring you gifts every time I see you.
Let me pack your frosty racks with them.
People think I’m cheating on someone with you,
but no one beeps at me like you do.
I just tell them you’re the best equipped—
but you know I love you for you.
After all, together we make
the most delicious gingersnaps.  

I don't write love poems to girls.  I write them to kitchens.

Talk about being gayyyy... bahaha.

This poem is about Will Rice's kitchen.  Which is hands-down the BEST college kitchen at Rice.  Like seriously.  Go check it out.  She has everything.

Thoughts?

4 comments:

  1. "I don't write love poems to girls. I write them to kitchens."

    HAHAAAA best line everrr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you're half-expecting something from me on this, and I usually do! Because poetry is really pretty and little stanzas of emotion.

    But I don't know what to say about this.
    ....
    I really don't.

    Ah...

    A couple of little things though:
    - I think you got your time wrong? Is one of them supposed to be PM? 12:15 PM?

    I have no words.
    Speechless...

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, Karen, is this that bad...? =\ But it's ok; i turned it in already and it's all over, so no more feedback is needed. xD

    ooh, i changed those lines from clocking out after work (since people got confused) to clocking out after classes, and I realize that now those lines don't make much sense. Since who has class that late? (erm, Bioc 310 is a class, right?) But I just wanted to keep to the times of true-to-life times when I went to WRC kitchen and went to go bake there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahaha no it's not bad at all. I just can't critique it because it doesn't leave me with much feeling. Not to say it evokes nothing! But.... i just read it and I'm left a little confused emotionally. Lol. As in, not sure what emotion you want the person reading it to be left with tasting.

    .... yeah...
    lol :)

    ReplyDelete